Saturday, January 1, 2011

Stefan’s Diaries: Origins by L.J. Smith

Yeah, this book was shorter than I thought it would be, thick pages and medium font. That’s alright though. Did you know that I still have the last two Harry Potter books to read?  Yeah, I always watch the movies first… because I would rather have the books ruin the movie than have the movie ruin the books – if you know what I mean. Harry Potter fans out there, is it the same for you? Just wondering if I’m a weirdo.

It’s 1864, and Stefan is stuck in the middle of the civil war. But that’s not the only war that’s happening. He is to be betrothed to a woman he doesn’t love, while at the same time, the mysterious Katherine has caught his heart. Stefan isn’t the only one though, his brother Damon has made sure to spend his sunny afternoons chasing her through the garden in the huge Salvatore estate. While the towns suspicion of the ongoing animal attacks turns into something more, the brothers carry a deadly secret; Katherine is a vampire.

Well. I don’t know about all of the other people who have read this book felt about it… but I have a few things to say. I’ve read all four of the original Vampire Diaries books, and I’ve kept up with the TV show since it began, and having all of that background sort of made me confused. When I first started to read this book, I thought that it was going to have elements from both the TV show as well as the previous novels. But that is not the case, it’s based only on the show. SO, to all of you people out there that have only read the books, don’t get confused. It’s the background of the TV show printed on pages. I repeat… KATHERINE HAD BROWN HAIR IN THIS BOOK.

Besides that confusion, there was something else that bothered me quite a lot actually. In L.J. Smith’s other novels, she usually has two or three stories in one whole book. I thought it was way more effective that way, because after you read the first story in the book, you could go right into the next one and by the end everything would be tied up. This novel felt a little lacking to me… I mean by the end everything had happened, but I still felt like there was a lot missing that is needed in a good story. I don’t know. Maybe it was because Smith was writing somebody else's idea, or maybe it was another reason. I think that this should have just stayed a background story instead of becoming something all on it’s own.

I haven’t seen many other people reviewing this book, so I don’t know about what other people thought about it… but yeah. Check out her site, she has TONS of other books that she needs to get writing, instead of doing something like. :P Just saying http://www.ljanesmith.net/www/home 

I guess I’ll give this one… a 2.5 out of 5.

2.5

Later Cheese Graters,

MRR

No comments:

Post a Comment