Sunday, January 16, 2011

Ptolemy’s Gate by Jonathan Stroud

Another week gone by, another book worth reading – finished. So, yeah I think that this one book a week is working for me, though I struggled to get this one finished on time. I have exams in about a week, and I put off some homework I should probably have finished. But that’s okay. This is important enough for that.

Three years after the devastating events of Gladstone’s tomb. the Resistance is shattered, the Government is floundering, and the Commoners are angry as ever. John Mandrake is stuck in the midst of cowardly politicians, but he knows something is wrong, and intends to do whatever it takes to get to the bottom of it – even if it means using his old servant Bartimaeus, whose essence is so weak it hurts him to change form. How will Bartimaeus get his freedom to the Other Place, as well as save England from a terrifying fate?

 

FantasyNow, I may have voiced some doubts in the past about this series. They have always held unexpected turns and pulled at my heart with each ending of another book, but honestly… the first two can’t compare to this one. They were a perfect build up, and I enjoyed them, but I LOVED this one.

I’ve previously complained about how they didn’t have enough Bartimaeus in the last one because they showed the sides of the other characters just as much as his, but this one it is evened nicely by giving us details of his past with Ptolemy, and what he went through. I found myself laughing out loud again, not just because Bartimaeus is hilarious, but because of how enjoyable the book was and I knew that on the last page it would all end.

The development Nathaniel’s character went through made me happy, and I stopped seeing him as John Mandrake the annoying asshole and went back to seeing him as he was when he was younger, which was what the author intended and it worked out great.

The last thing that made the this novel just the absolute best was the ending. It was tragically perfect, a perfect ending for me. It made my bawl and even though I finished the book yesterday… when I think about the words the author used and exactly how he wrote it and how it ended – my eyes start to burn and can’t stop thinking about it. GAAAAAHHH. So good.

If it wasn’t obvious before, I’m giving this book a deserved 5 out of 5. 5

Check out Jonathan Stroud’s website, http://www.jonathanstroud.com/ he deserves more love. But you know, I can give it to him if nobody else will.

Later Cheese Graters,

MRR

No comments:

Post a Comment