Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Shadow in the North by Philip Pullman

Almost keeping up with my one book per week thing, I’m quite happy with the receding pile of unread book on my shelf…. even though I keep buying more thanks to the Chapters gift cards I got for my birthday. Anyway, I’m just excited about that, but I have some other news. I was thinking of adding a little picture saying what genre the book is, except I don’t really know where I’m going to put it. Just an idea, but yeah. ALRIGHT. Let’s start on this.

515MPR3JR0L._SL500_AA300_

Working as a financial consultant, and the business of Garland and Lockheart booming, Sally lands herself in the middle of another terrifying mystery. With a perplexing conjurer always on the run, two thugs that are on the loose, and a very powerful, very enticing business man by the name of Axel Bellman hiding something extremely deadly – things couldn’t be more dangerous for Sally and her fellow detectives. But with so many distractions and little clues, Sally and her friends can’t help but wonder whether this case is worth solving.

I know that the last time I did a review for a book in this series, I didn’t know what to think of it. Being honest, I thought that I wouldn’t enjoy this book, because of what I thought of the first one. Even though this book revolves around business, shares, and finance and some of it was hard to understand – I really enjoyed reading this one. It’s cool to learn about the old England way of life, and this was a really engaging mystery book.

Compared to the last one, there were so many more twists in the plot, and they were happening from beginning, all the way to the very last page of the book. It’s enticing all the way through and I’m glad that I now feel the need to go buy the last two in the series, (even though my wallet isn’t so thrilled.) The Shadow in the North is a great mystery/thriller book that will keep you interested. Another thing I’m happy to say is this – The second book in the series is remarkably better than the first one!

Take a look at Pullman’s website. I think that his view on writing is really cool, he’s a smart man. http://www.philip-pullman.com/books.asp

I’ll give this a 4 out of 5. I’m in a good mood today. 4

Later Cheese Graters,

MRR

No comments:

Post a Comment