Saturday, December 25, 2010

Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

Hey there! I don’t know if everybody’s winter break is as busy at mine, but I hope that you all had an awesome Christmas. I sure did. I’m on the ferry right now heading over to Vancouver Island, and people gave me a lot of pretty awesome things; a camera, a Glee Karaoke game, this awesome pair of pyjama's that came with shorts and long pants. We’re almost into a new year, and I wish everybody the best in 2011. :)

After the First Night, everybody and everything was different. The lucky had survived, and most of them lived within small fenced towns like Mountainside – terrified of the millions of zoms that waited outside the iron gates. Living only with his older brother Tom, Benny joins the family business as a last resort for a job. Little did he know that it would change him forever. When his childhood friend Nix is kidnapped by one of the worst bounty hunters around, Benny finds himself on a long journey to find her, as well as a mysterious Lost Girl that will take him far beyond the fence, and far into the great Rot and Ruin.

For a zombie novel, this book was pretty damn good. I really enjoyed reading it, and I thought that the writing was unique and appealing to me. A lot of the writing touches on the way people think, and how they thought and acted after the First Night of the zombie apocalypse. How the characters talked about the behaviour of other people in the book, I thought all of that was very well written and interesting to read – party because it was all logical and made perfect sense.

The one thing that I didn’t like was Benny at the beginning of the book. I know that Maberry was trying to portray him as an immature, naive boy… but when I read it, it seemed to me like he was younger than 15. When I read it, even after I learned his age… I still pictured him as a 12 year old. Even the most immature people at age 15 aren’t as bad as he was. I understand the special exception rule, but it still kind of bothered me if you know what I mean,

I don’t think there is much else to say, and I still thought the story was really great for zombies. Maberry added a lot of other elements that made the plot interesting, which is what other books sometimes fail to do. I give it a 4 out of 5.4

It seems to me like this needs a sequel, there is so much more that can be done! They need to go east and find out where the Jumbo Jet they saw came from. Anyway, check out his blog http://jonathanmaberry.com/ 

Later Cheese Graters,

MRR

No comments:

Post a Comment