Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Alexandria of Africa by Eric Walters

Haha, after I finished writing the review for Born to Rock I picked this up and read the whole book, so now, here I am! My internet was down but I fixed it up, that’s why the previous post was just posted about 10 minutes ago. This book may have been short, but it definitely is an amazing story, I couldn’t put it down at all. Well…..maybe for one itty bitty pizza pretzel.

Spoiled, bratty, and annoyingly used to getting her way, Alexandria has lived her whole life getting what she wants, and depending on her father’s money. When she shoplifts and is faced by an extremely unhappy judge, she is sentenced to go to a juvenile detention center. But there is another option….to go to a diversion program in Kenya, to build schools. Faced with a whole new world that she could never have imagined or have even cared about before. Will Alexandria finally realize that what she wants isn’t always what she needs?

Not only does this story tell of a reality that some readers may never knew existed – just like Alexandria didn’t….but it also tells the story of how her experienced transformed her. It may be a bit cliché; the rich girl going to Africa and learning to open her eyes and see what’s around her for once, but it’s inspirational nonetheless, and so much more than a story told again and again.

The novel was fast paced and right to the point, which was very appreciated. Like I mentioned before, I really couldn’t put it down, maybe it’s the fact that going to Africa and volunteering is something that I have always wanted to do, and that I love Africa with all of my heart. BUT that is besides the point. I think that the story just developed in all the right places and events happened at the right times, everything matched up. It was almost like gravity, pulling you in to read and read and read.

There is nothing bad in the writing that sticks out like a sore thumb, or anything that bothered or confused me, maybe that’s why I liked it so much….usually there is one thing.

Anyways, as you probably know Walters is a pretty well known writer, who has written many books. Here is his site, take a look at his other novels. http://www.ericwalters.net/razorside/executeUseCase.do?useCaseId=1129689095013330

For those of you who are interested in Africa, or the diversion programs that help build schools and supply fresh water, I have a special video for you. Eric Walters thanked Free The Children in this novel, so I here you are.

There are plenty more where that came from, just go to the website. www.freethechildren.com

I'm going to give this book a 4 out of 5.



Chow Mr. Cow,

MRR

No comments:

Post a Comment