Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Born To Rock by Gordon Korman

WOW. On the border line of June here. But this was a short read, so I was able to finish it in pretty much one day. I am sure that if you love books as much as I do, then you love bookstores, like chapters. I am part of irewards system, and you can go on to online website and there are reviews for each book, and you can make your own lists, reviews, and recommendations. You just need to make an account and then explore a little. Here is my profile if you want to see what it looks like. Take a look, it’s pretty snazzy. http://community.indigo.ca/profile/Meggles/445991.html

Leo, a successful Young Republican thought that he had his future in his steady, reliable hands. Then his scholarship is taken away and he learns that his biological father is the most famous person in the history of punk – King Maggot. Leo ends up becoming a roadie for the Purge tour, and ends up getting in a lot of trouble while simply just trying to have some bonding time with his newly discovered Dad (who really isn’t as angry as a person that he seems). How will Leo manage to squeeze enough money to pay for his scholarship to Harvard, when his father is the biggest and angriest lead singer of all time?

After reading the first couple chapters of this book, I thought for sure it was about this crazy kid with a split personality that liked debating politics with other people. That probably is what you would think too, because the first chapters give you the most horrible impressions of the book. So my advice to you on this one, is keep on reading, or GET PAST THE CRAP. Because it really is about the rock and roll roadie life, not about this nerdy kid that sounds like he is going to have an asthma attack at any minute.

This book was meant to be short, and it explained and conveyed many things very well, but one part was so random that I didn’t even know where it came from. It was the whole liking somebody that Korman seemed to have trouble writing about. I mean, I knew the main character was going to end up falling for his best friend, it’s just predictable because it always happens. But it came out of nowhere, and when finally it was explained, it didn’t even seem real. It was in first person writing form, but the writing didn’t explain much about it. Maybe Korman hasn’t had a crush/lover before…or he sucks at writing about it – I don’t know.

It was a short book, so I don’t have much to say but I really did like it. It made me laugh and feel frustrated and sad, and had a great ending. A really great ending actually! When you finished the book, you really did finish the book, there weren’t any crap at the end, I was just able to shut the book and know that I didn’t have to keep looking through more pages to check if they actually are part of the story. (Pet Peeve)

Haha, alright. I give this book a 3.5. I realized what I tough critic I am, but what ever. 

3.5

Have a happy last day of June, and early Canada day. GO CANADA! Is it easy to tell that I’m a proud Canadian.

Chow Mr. Cow,

MRR

No comments:

Post a Comment