Monday, June 21, 2010

City Of Bones – Cassandra Clare

Told you that it wouldn’t be long! Now that my final math exam is over with I will have plenty of relaxing warm days to put my feet up and read for hours. Summer is a time for lost of plans and going out for me, but I always seem to have those times where I am stuck with boring relatives that are all to young to do anything interesting. Those….are the times where the books come out of the backpacks. ;)

Brooklyn was where Clary grew up, with her best friend Simon, her over protective mother, and her sort of step – father Luke. Sheltered and feeling out of place (just like any other teen) Clary things that she’s just imagining things when she witnesses a strange event in one of her favorite clubs, an event that is the starting point of opening a whole window of dark secrets and a story that she would have normally just read in one of her animes. With her mother missing, her home destroyed, and a whole new world of Demons and Shadowhunters, unveiling itself before her eyes. Clary must search through her clouded memory of the past, and the false impersonations of the present to save the people that she loves from pain and betrayal.

I wish that I could overload my complaints on to you about this book in mass amounts, (I’m sure that you would love that) but I am proud to say that this book is almost….mistake free. The one things that I can make a comment about is the describing. The author really feels the need to overload with information about the buildings that the characters go into and such. It can be a bit overwhelming and hard to picture of times, but you get used to it….and the author balances it all out with her dialogue.

The dialogue. I can tell you this, it is really amazing. No – she doesn’t have fancy words that you can’t understand, and no – there isn’t some special way that she arranged the words and made it magically spectacular. It was just how normal people talk. How people actual convey their feelings, and how different characters respond in their words. Dialogue is one of the hardest things in writing, because it’s the one thing that you want to make as realistic as possible, in most circumstances. The dialogue wasn’t flawed one bit, not even a little…it flowed so smoothly. Even when one of the characters was saying something that lasted a chapters length.

The thing that stands out most about this novel, is that even though it’s fiction, everything is so…realistic. How she writes it, and how her words convey things to the reader…it just all is in harmony. Of course, that’s not the only thing that made this book great. Let me tell you, I haven’t read a book like this in a long long time… I felt sad, and happy, and extremely frustrated while reading this book. The emotions I felt, and the twists and turns that made them happen – I can’t even explain.

Now here, my friends…is a rare moment indeed, so brace yourselves……… I GIVE THIS BOOK A 5 OUT OF 5.  Dinga Linga LING!`

5

And there you have it folks, a 5/5. Now, Clare has a new series coming out called something about clocks. Here is her website if you want to learn more. http://cassandraclare.com/cms/home

*ahem* YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK. Chow Mr. Cow,

MRR

1 comment: