Sunday, June 13, 2010

Marked by P.C. Cast + Kristin Cast

WOWSA. I got more books from my friends, and this was the first out of three. I just started reading the first chapter because I was bored, but then I loved it so much that I had to keep going! I even kept reading it while I was still halfway through a different book! (That was a first) I think there is about 6 in the series now, I can hardly believe it. Mwaahahahahahaaaaaaaa. Yeah. This is one of those books that is about vampires….that all of the Twilight fan girls read just to see if there is anybody in this book like Edward Cullen. For future notice, THERE IS NOT. So, let’s begin.

Zoey has always known about the existence of vampires – just like everybody. But she also had always been just another human, trying to live her life and hoping that she wouldn’t be tracked and marked. But, a tracker does mark her and she learns to leave her old life behind and except her fate – as a vampire fledging at the House Of Night.

Little does she know, she is more powerful than any other normal fledging seen before, and she must use her power and the knowledge that her Grandmother gave to her, to figure out an unsolved mystery lying deep within the school walls.

Let me tell you something….I could barely put this book down, and thinking back – I don’t even get why, The story was very gradual and it wasn’t intense at all, but the combined writing style of mother and daughter authors is really great! Not only do you get the experienced writing of an older person, but then you also get the perspective of somebody younger, which is important in a book that is for teenagers. I actually loved the writing style, it was so great. They inserted things in brackets after the main character thought of something funny or immature, like this. (hee hee) It was just FUN!

The novel didn’t focus on much character development or anything like that, but this is only the first book out of a long series, so I can understand if there wasn’t much character development. Zoey didn’t seem like a super realistic character, but I think that might be because compared to her friends in the House Of Night, – which were all very cliché – she was very average, with not much stereo typical categories, etc etc.

To be honest, i think that they could have spent more time on the cover. Again, I know it’s only the first book but COME ON. The image is blurry and kind of ugly, and I don’t even get what is going on with her shoulder or back or whatever the thing is beneath her head. Just go to chapters and look at the book, and you can see the blur and how bad the fade is on the girl in the front. I wouldn’t be so mean if I didn’t know that they spent way more time on the other covers in the rest of the series.

Another thing that kind of bothered me was the rituals they did. I like rituals in books, they really add on to the effect of the story and of course, they are always important and essential – but I hate it when they are really long. It’s super easy to get bored when they are doing rituals in this book, because there are two that are extremely  long and you don’t even want to read it… so subconsciously you aren’t even digesting the information. You know what I mean, right?

Anywho, I give this book a 4 out of 5, 4I really liked it. 

 

Here is the official site. (Well, it looks pretty official.) http://www.houseofnightseries.com/

There yah go! I’m definitely DONE. This one was pretty long, which makes me happy. >:]

Chow for now,

MRR

No comments:

Post a Comment