Sunday, March 13, 2011

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

I didn’t think that I would get this book finished by today for my goal thing, but I managed! I’m just a really cool speed reader that way, what can I say! I got some new books from Taylor… I’ve been trying not to add more to my huge ass pile but I JUST COULDN’T HELP IT THIS TIME.

While Alek is forced to become a fugitive in his own country because of his parent’s assassination, Deryn is perfecting the art of being a boy – so she can join the Air Service and become a Middie just like she’s dreamed of since she was a little girl. The countries around them are on the brink of war, and they come from opposite worlds. One full of heavy machinery and Clankers, and the other tied into fabricated beasts full of hydrogen and life; but somehow they manage to end up on the same ship. Forced to work together to escape from the German’s Alek and Deryn make enemies turn to allies: On the great airbeast Levaithan.

I didn’t know what this book was even about at all when I bought it. I wanted to read it because I loved Scott Westerfeld’s Uglies series, and even though this book has a completely different writing style and is different than Uglies in so many ways, I enjoyed it just as much. I have to say though, if I didn’t know the author of this book and you wanted me to guess I would have never guessed Westerfeld at all.

Even though I think this book was meant for a younger teen audience, I still really enjoyed it. I loved the moments between Alek and Deryn, it was really predictable that she would end up liking him, but it only happened at the end of the book so now I have to read Behemoth or whatever the hell it’s called!!!

Another thing I really liked, and will always like about Westerfeld’s books is the vast amount of originality. I mean, his novel ideas are always brilliant. I wish I could step into his mind and just take a nice tour of his ideas and thoughts. That would be very nice.

I’m going to have to give this one a nice big 4. 4

Check out his website http://scottwesterfeld.com/blog/ The third book in this series is already being somewhat released. Open-mouthed smile

Later Cheese Graters,

MRR

No comments:

Post a Comment