Sunday, April 4, 2010

Bliss by Lauren Myracle

How was everybody’s Easter? Mine was okay. :D But, because my spring break is the on the same week, I got lots of time off to read books and write book reviews. The new Vampire Diaries book is out….AND I AM SO EXCITED! I can’t wait to read. But, unluckily for you guys, I only do book reports on the first book of the series (if there is a series) and I read the first one to long ago, so no book review for you! But, I very muchly recommend it. ;)

Anyways, about this author. The only other books that I have read by her is that horrid series about theses three teenagers and their life. I think there are three books right now and they are called TTYL, TTFN, and something else that i don’t remember. It was in the format of IM messages and it was really boring. I hated that series, BUT I decided to give her another try and I liked this one a lot, it was a really interesting horror.

 Bliss grew up on a commune with both of her parents, she never expected much, and she never got much, but when she goes to live with her high society grandmother, her life as a ‘hippie’ is falls behind her.

Standing out in a Christian school and trying hard to beware of the vision her old friend Flying V told her about, Bliss learns what it’s like to be pampered and groomed, with her every possible need and want fulfilled. But Bliss has a sort of sixth sense, and it’s telling her that something very terrible has happened in the school, and something terrible was going to happen again.

 

This book is set around 1960’s with hippies and with some people still secretly racist. This book didn’t start out slow at all, it got right into the school, and right into how different Bliss’ childhood was compared to all of the people attending the preppy Christian school. I don’t think the writing style was unique, but that’s okay because it made it easier to read and understand.

I don’t know what to make of this book. It says that it’s a horror, and there are definitely scary parts in it, including stuff about blood magic, sacrifices, and chilling murder. You kind of don’t know where it’s heading, and the ending is pretty bad….well really bad. At first, there is nothing horror-like about the story, but then it starts to get weird. with the voices that Bliss hears when she goes into different parts of the school. Then it goes back to normal –about Bliss and her friends and the things they do as teenage girls- and then it goes into racism and the horror near the end.

I found that I actually liked all that kind of jumpiness. It really kept you on your toes, you know, kept things interesting, and say if you were the type of reader that got bored of one subject easily, then it was nice how it changed around all the time.

The character development in this book is extraordinary. Honestly, Bliss is such a realistic character, and this book really captures how much a person can change because of their environment. Lauren Myracle gets five stars for her character Bliss, I am truly blown away, (and very jealous) of her skills in this category.Bliss’ thought process changes drastically from the beginning of the book to the end, her whole personality –everything- it all changes, and this is one of the main points in the story.

Wow, I’m surprised, there is not too much bad stuff I could get from this book, and usually I have tons of criticism…..((that means it’s a good novel)) just to let you know.

But, because of the ending, I’m going to have to give this a 4.5 4.5 Star Rating

“Classic horror conventions…suspenseful thriller…a troubling mystery surrounding a student’s death many years prior.” – Kirkus Reviews

'” Sure to cause goose bumps all the way to the dramatic and surprising end.” – School Library Journal

Go read this book! That is an order by the way. I may not have a book review for a while, school and stuff. You know how it is….or not.

If you want to visit Lauren Myracle’s site, for upcoming books and contest, go here.

Chow for now.

MRR

No comments:

Post a Comment