Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

This one was a shorty, but that didn’t make it any less enjoyable. There was a move made about this book, but I haven’t seen it yet. I don’t doubt that it would be good though, even if this book is just about life. Charlie’s life.

perks_of_being_a_wallflower_book_cover

  ‘This is the story of what it''s like to grow up in high school. More intimate than a diary, Charlie's letters are singular and unique, hilarious and devastating. We may not know where he lives. We may not know to whom he is writing. All we know is the world he shares. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it puts him on a strange course through uncharted territory. The world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends. The world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite.’

Not much to say about this little bookie. Its short, sweet and all the while very enjoyable. Even though Charlie is just a normal teenaged boy going through normal high school problems, his character makes the story unique. Charlie doesn’t really think like the normal high school kid, and I continued to read because of his perspective on life.

One of my favourite quotes was from the beginning of the book: ‘We accept the love we think we deserve.’ It really meant a lot to me, and there were lots of meaningful quotes throughout the entire novel it was written beautifully. The reason it connects with so many people is because its about something we all have to go through in life; which is growing up.

I liked the diary format for the book, and I there isn’t one thing that I could pick out about not liking about it. Some people may get bored when Charlie just talks about things that happened to him that weren’t so exciting, but I think its important that those are included because its his life – with the exciting and boring parts.

I’ll give this a 3.5/5 I mean it wasn’t my favourite genre, but it was still worth the read. I likey. Chbosky doesn’t have his own website/blog but you can read more about him here http://authors.simonandschuster.ca/Stephen-Chbosky/1843916 Hope you enjoyed, I’m going to have a review for Eat Pray Love maybe, and coming up after that is Fire (Second to Graceling) Should be good.

Anywho. I think I should get started on some homework, new semester and a new beginning. Oh and GRADE 2013 WOOT WOOT

Bye  X)

No comments:

Post a Comment