Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I have to admit that it has been a busy month for me. Softball has been going full force, and there has been a couple other things that have made sure that I have no time for reading anymore. But rest assured, I will come back on track as soon as I can. My book pile is dwindling and I am ready for summer to come kick my ass in to motion and finish up all these books that I’ve wanted to finish reading for years. :P So. HERE WE GO THEN.

the-book-thief

1939 in Nazi Germany: Liesel Meminger was dropped off my her mother at the house of two strangers, her new foster parents. A couple days after her little brother passed away, Liesel thinks that nothing could be worse. But with her first book already stolen, she is on her way into her new life. A life growing up on Himmel street, and the life of living in Nazi Germany with a Jew hiding in your basement. In love with words, Liesel takes to book stealing, whether in the mayor’s wife’s library, Nazi book burnings, or wherever there are books to be found. With the war and Hitler constantly at the back of everybody’s minds, it’s a dangerous time – especially for Liesel and the Hubermman’s, and anybody else that is hiding in their house.

After reading the prologue to this book, I was extremely confused. I started to doubt whether this book was at my level or not because I was having a hard time understanding the beginning part. But when I flipped to the first page of Liesel’s story, I knew that this book was going to be impossible to forget. The writing is beautiful from the very first page, and as I continued on my eyes grew wider because it just keeps getting better.

I absolutely loved how Death was the narrator throughout the story. The pieces of writing where Death put in what it was thinking and stuff, I was blow away. I thought it was such an interesting way to tell the story, and in this story in particular it worked perfectly with the subject. I loved how the story was told, instead of making a climax or creating mystery, it was just said like it was, if somebody died in the future of the book, Death just told you right away. No big deal. It happens.

Another thing I really appreciated about this story was the seriousness combined with just a story of a little girl’s life growing up. This book was a nice break from all the repetitive teen fiction that just piles up and up and up. I have to admit, this is one of the first books that I actually wanted to read again right after I finished it. I folded down the pages that I thought had amazing writing, and I do plan on reading this book over and over and over and over again. I LOVE THIS BOOK. The first book that I have actually loved.

So there you have it. I don’t care if you think this book is overrated or whatever, because I think it’s amazing, and I recommend it to anybody, even if you usually don’t like historic fiction like me.

THIS IS A 6 OUT OF 5. So yeah, no graph thing sorry. :P I don’t know if this is his website exactly, but you can get some info on Markus Zusak from here. http://www.randomhouse.com/features/markuszusak/

Later Cheese Graters,

MRR

No comments:

Post a Comment