Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Lightning Thief – Rick Riordan

Hello! Took me a long time to read this book, even though it was pretty short, and interesting, I have just been super busy lately. A lot going on with my family and school and such. Anyways, I just came on here to say….DON’T WATCH THE BOX. It really sucks, and it doesn’t make sense. That’s all….bye for now! Have a nice day.

Juuuuuuust kidding!        I know, I’m so funny.

  Percy Jackson was never a normal kid, his learning disabilities kept him moving from school to school and never making too many friends. But just when he thought things were finally working out for him, he learns that his persistent Latin teacher wasn’t working him hard for nothing, and that maybe the god’s of Olympus are more than just a myth.

After discovering more and more about his past, and that normal was exactly the opposite of what he was, Percy must train and rely on his strength and will to help him complete his quest and stop a war from breaking out between the gods.

 

Now, I know that this probably written for a younger audience then mine, but if there was supposed to be a mystery about who Percy’s dad is, then it didn’t work at all. I guess it might be because my comprehension level is high or something, but I figured out who his dad was in the first chapter, the 10th page. I mean, the title is ‘Percy Jackson and the Olympians’ it’s obviously about the Greek Gods, and when it said that ‘the water grabbed her’ then it was obvious that he was some how related to some sort of sea god. So at the camp when they were having such a hard time trying to figure out who is father could be….it was unrealistic, and a bit hard to read.

This book would be great for any fantasy fans, and of course, for anybody who is interested in Greek Mythology and The Gods of Olympia. Not much romance, but I can definitely see some sort of Love Hate relationship going on between the two main characters. I know this is only the first book….and there are five or six more or something….BUT SOMETHING IS GOING ON THERE, probably will develop through the series.

The ending was actually pretty good, but the very ending was kind of disappointing…..but I guess it was kind of a surprise too….but then it wasn’t a surprise (GAAAH, I can’t decide) Sorry for spoiling, but he has to choose between staying at the camp, or going home with his mother for the school year. And you would think that he had learned his lesson, that he was important and he needed to train because anything could happen but NO, he decides on the last page that he wants to pack and go live with his mother…..like I said, kind of disappointing.

After Percy got his prophecy from the Oracle, about a friend betraying him the end, I would think that he would be a bit more paranoid through his whole quest, about his friends betraying him, but no, he doesn’t even think of that again until his quest is over and he’s back safe at home. That seemed a bit weird for me, but that might be because I’m a paranoid person in general. :D

I’ll be honest with you, there is not much else to complain about in this novel. The story was really great, and I enjoyed the style of writing a lot. There was enough going on to keep you interested and even thought the mysteries were kind of obvious, it was really fun to read. I recommend this book! Now, I know that there is a movie, and I started reading this when it came out in theaters…..I really want to see it now! Apparently it’s super good.

Anywho, time for the rating!4 Star Rating

Which I give a solid 4 out of 5.       

Nice work Rick Riordan, you have pleased me greatly.

HeeeeeeeHeeeee, I have to do my homework now….because all of my grades are dropping like cherry bombs (wth?) Sorry that the other one was longer than this one, I guess I was in one of those crazy –I need to write about this story NOW- kind of moods.

OH! One more thing, I said that I would be doing some sort of mentioning really good pieces of writing once a week….or whenever I find one….well, you guessed it! I found one! (Hooray) Please check it out, you’ll thank me for it after you read it! Car Crash Like A Disco

Chow for now,

MRR

No comments:

Post a Comment