Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Devouring – Simon Holt

This is my first book review……so please don’t shrink and die because of how bad or inexperienced it is….because I am inexperienced. I’m just hoping the more that I do this, the better I’m going to get. I’ll start with a small summery, and then go on to my thoughts on the book.

Reggie and her best friend Aaron are two teens that can’t get enough of all different types of horror books, movies and television shows. So when they find an old journal in the book store where Reggie works, they don’t think much of the insane entries - written about inhuman beings called vours that can invade human bodies and control their mind and soul.But after a cold night in the winter solstice, Reggie’s little brother –Henry, starts acting completely different, and it doesn’t take long for Reggie to figure out a vour had inhabited him.

Aaron and Reggie must work together to learn more about the mysterious author and search for a way to extract the vour that lives inside of Henry…..without killing him first.

I have to admit, that horror is not the genre I usually read, but I did feel that there was definitely some things that I can mention and even criticize.

In every book, no matter what genre, there is always a part that has some down time. There is always one little moment where the main character breaks down, or tells what they’re feeling, or kisses their beloved. Even the most action-packed movie has some scene where you can relax, and not worry about some car blowing up in the background. But in this book, I found that there was no time where things were somewhat normal, where the main character talked about something normal. It was always going on and on, without a break. Even when Aaron and Reggie are just talking in one of their bedrooms, it’s always about the vours and how they plan to catch it. The only break that I noticed, (after the plot developed) was when Reggie got knocked out.

Now, for any romance fans out there….those kind that only read books with romance, and the ones that get frustrated when nothing even slightly romantic happens between two characters. Well, then I suggest you don’t read this. Even though there is obviously some sort of connection between Reggie and Aaron, and they care for each other, they don’t talk about how they feel except for the occasional ‘I’m worried about Henry’ or ’I’m scared.’ I guess to me that was a little bit of a disappointment….but like I mentioned before this is my first horror book in a while. (Maybe a bad choice for my first review)

Time for the compliments! The idea was original and very interesting, and the descriptions were so detailed, that I actually started to feel unsafe! Especially at parts where it was describing fears that the characters had that I was scared of too. All of the senses were captured really well, and I could zone into the story without two much trouble. The characters were likeable – which is good, and I guess that overall it was a good book (not a waste of time)

3.5 Star Rating I give it a 3.5 out of 5.


 

The Devouring on Wiki <—More information –> Official Website

Comparable to books by R.L. Stine and Stephen king…A must-read for horror fans” –School Library Journal

A scary yarn spun at breakneck speed, perfect for those chilly winter nights” –Kirkus

Irresistible” –The Bulletin

If you have read the book, and you would like to add something, or you disagree with me, then just comment! I’ll shall reply. Also, if you have any book suggestions for me, then just do the same. Thank you for reading.

Chow for now!

MRR

No comments:

Post a Comment