Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Lost City of Z by David Grann

GOT MY JOB AT CHAPTERS! I’m super excited, my first day was today and I had an awesome time. There is some competition though, for now I’m only in a seasonal contract so I have to have an exceptional performance if I’m going to stay there long term. Other than that the only thing happening is me going to Douglas in September. Hooray for more school, study, and papers.

zcover

In 1925, the legendary British explorer Percy Fawcett ventured into the Amazon jungle, in search of a fabled civilization. He never returned. Over the years countless perished trying to find evidence of his party and the place he called "The Lost City of Z." In this masterpiece of narrative nonfiction, journalist David Grann interweaves the spellbinding stories of Fawcett's quest for "Z" and his own journey into the deadly jungle, as he unravels the greatest exploration mystery of the twentieth century.

Reading a non-fiction is a first for me, or at least the first time in a long time, and I admit that I thought it was fascinating. This book is a true story that is filled with real adventure, mystery, and suspense. This and the fact that the author get’s caught up in the obsession over Z just adds to the realism.

After a couple pages I was excited to follow Fawcett throughout several of his journey’s all the way through till the end, but this is not the case. Because it’s a non-fiction the author has to piece together the story from tidbits like Fawcett’s journal, letters written by people close to him, and accounts from other important people in the story. This makes the it less focused on adventure and more informative instead.

If you’re a history buff I recommend this novel. I think that after reading this I’ll have to browse the same section in Chapters more often. Despite it seeming like there were no more twists that could happen, the very ending proved that wrong. The Lost City of Z is a beautiful story of english explorers, amazon indians, and the quest for an ancient city.

I adored this novel, its  4 OUT OF 5. http://www.davidgrann.com/ Visit his website to check out his other book, The Devil and Sherlock Holmes

Until  next time,

-MRR

No comments:

Post a Comment