Friday, July 5, 2013

Animal Farm by George Orwell

As you are all not aware of, I have been pretty ill for the past 2 weeks. I thought I would make you aware now! I haven’t really read anything even though Animal Farm isn’t really the most difficult read around. Being sick right after I graduated isn’t anybody’s dream start to the summer, and it’s definitely not mine.

Animal-farm-george-orwell

Mr Jones of Manor Farm is so lazy and drunken that one day he forgets to feed his livestock. The ensuing rebellion under the leadership of the pigs Napoleon and Wellington leads to the animals taking over the farm. Vowing to eliminate the terrible inequities of the farmyard, the renamed Animal Farm is organized to benefit all who walk on four legs. But as time passes, the ideals of the rebellion are corrupted, then forgotten. And something new and unexpected emerges...

Animal Farm - the history of a revolution that went wrong - is George Orwell's brilliant satire on the corrupting influence of power.

 

And what a satire it is. I could tell right off the bat from the style of writing what kind of novel Animal Farm was going to be. The story starts hopeful, but that reality slowly rots the farther you get in.

It is well known that Animal Farm reflects on the Russian Revolution in relation to it’s characters and events. I can say for myself that I was constantly readying myself for something GOOD to happen in the plotline instead of the complete and utter corruption that takes place on the farm.

While reading my mother looked at me and sarcastically said “A nice light summer read for you eh?” Light in terms of an easy read? Yes. But in all seriousness if you want a book that will bring up your spirits and take you away on a hearty adventure… then don’t read Animal Farm.

I quite liked this novel it was different from a lot of other books I’ve read. I didn’t have to study if through school so that made it more enjoyable. It was a nice change from the usual fiction. I’ll give Orwell a 4 OUT OF 5 on this one. Only because I’m not in love with it. I have more Orwell coming up next.

Later gaters,

- MRR

No comments:

Post a Comment