Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Droughtlanders by Carrie Mac

I am SO VERY busy so sorry about the slow reading, usually I can get these suckers done in a day or two if I feel like it. Graduating and softball are taking up my time recently, its quite exhilarating. Speaking of exhilarating, lets talk about this lovely book.

Droughtlanders-25apxau Twin brothers Seth and Eli Maddox are Keylanders brought up within the privileged and protected Eastern Key. Keylanders, the boys are told, must keep within their walls to avoid the filth and disease spread by the Droughtlanders-those who struggle to survive on the parched land between the Keys. But when Eli sees their mother helping one of the wretched Droughtlanders, a chain of terrible events begins to unravel the life they've all known and will pit brother against brother in a life-or-death struggle between two worlds. The first book in the Triskelia trilogy, The Droughtlanders is a brilliant blend of futuristic fantasy and gritty social realism, with unforgettable characters and a compulsively readable story.

The first thing that I noticed and appreciated about this novel is that right on the first page, you are thrown into the story and left to figure out what’s going on. I thought that the protagonist was younger than 16 in the first couple chapters because of how he was acting, but there was good character development throughout the plotline for both Eli and his twin Seth.

There are many parallels between the world of the Droughtlands and of our current society, Mac reflects on these in her futuristic fiction. The rebels of Triskelia are trying to fight for their people, the Droughtlanders – who are stuck in poverty and sickness because of the Keys.

Overall this was a very compelling story to read, I couldn’t put it down. I loved the vocabulary and slang the characters had, and I could keep up with it without being confused. I think the best part about this novel is the contrast between the two brothers, and how different they turn out in the end.

Mac leaves you on a cliff-hanger so be prepared for me to reviewing the second one! Visit the website for the trilogy here http://www.triskelia.ca/books.html . I’m giving this one  5 OUT OF 5. I really couldn’t put it down.

Until next time, Chow!

MRR

No comments:

Post a Comment