Friday, March 1, 2013

Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card

I wanted to get this done yesterday, but alas I didn’t finish the novel until 1:30 in the morning. Things going on with my life: applying to universities for next school year, trying to keep up with the current school year, and on top of all that liking a guy that butted his way into my life. Asshole, who does he think he is making my like more busy? ;)

orson_scott_card_-_pathfinder

A powerful secret. A dangerous path.Rigg is well trained at keeping secrets. Only his father knows the truth about Rigg''s strange talent for seeing the paths of people''s pasts. But when his father dies, Rigg is stunned to learn just how many secrets Father had kept from him--secrets about Rigg''s own past, his identity, and his destiny. And when Rigg discovers that he has the power not only to see the past, but also to change it, his future suddenly becomes anything but certain. Rigg's birthright sets him on a path that leaves him caught between two factions, one that wants him crowned and one that wants him dead. He will be forced to question everything he thinks he knows, choose who to trust, and push the limits of his talent…or forfeit control of his destiny.

Science fiction has never been one of the main genres that I’ve focused on when reading, but my first thought as I reached a couple chapters in was: This guy knows how to WRITE. I was almost immediately intrigued and surprised at how realistic Card managed to pull together the story from the start. When the characters in the story debate about how the  rules  of time travel works and what the effects, are I did seem to get a bit lost; I had no idea what was going on while they were experimenting. That is not to say that it impacted my reading negatively, it made me pay more attention as I tried to understand their speculations.

My favourite part of this book was the main character, Rigg. He was so real to me, and as you learned his character and read his thoughts on the page it felt like you could gain his knowledge, like you knew it too. Explaining Rigg’s thoughts as he analyzed and went through the story gave you a strong attachment and understanding of him. Everybody knows that characters in a book can only be as smart as the author and in this case it was obvious how well thought each part of the plot was.

This book is a fantasy mixed with sci-fi, and with the second story at the beginning of every chapter there is an air of mystery as well. VERY GOOD. Definitely deserving a big 5 OUT OF 5. I will recommend and recommend again. Check out his other books, because I know I will http://www.hatrack.com/

Have a good month of March everybody, I’ll be back with another review soon. Bye,

MRR

No comments:

Post a Comment